Published: 17 November 2015
After the Israeli invasion on the Golan in June 1967, the UN held many sessions to discuses the results of the occupation and the atrocities committed against the people of the occupied territories. On the 22nd of November 1967the UN Security Council in its 1382 meeting adopted resolution no. 242 which says:
“The Security Council ,expressing its continuing concern with the grave situation in the Middle East. Emphasizing the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territories by war and the need to work for a just and lasting peace in which enemy states in the area can live in security :
Emphasizing further that all member states in their acceptance of the charter of the united nations have undertaken a commitment to act in accordance with article 2 of the charter,
1.affirms that the fulfillment of charter principles requires the establishment of a just and lasting peace in the Middle East which should include the application of both the following principles :
(i) withdrawal of Israeli armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict;
(ii) Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgment of the sovereignty, territories integrity and political independence of every state in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force”
Israel didn’t recognize the resolution and refused to withdraw from the occupied land. Arabs had no other choice but to resort to the use of force to restore their occupied land. They launched a liberation war on October 6th 1973. The war continued for twenty days. The world security become at a stake. so super powers; the U.S and USSR intervened . The UN security held a meeting an October 22nd. 1973 and adopted resolution no. 338:
The Security Council resolution 338
“The Security Council:
1. Calls upon all parties to the present fighting to cease all firing and terminate all military activity immediately , no later than 12 hours after the moment of the adoption of this decision, in the positions they now occupy;
2. Calls upon the parties conceded to start immediately of implementation of security council resolution 242(1976) in all of its parts;
3. Decide that, immediately and concurrently with the cease-fire, negotiations start between the parties conceded under appropriate auspices aimed at establishing a just and durable peace in the Middle East.
Security Council resolution 339
“The Security Council,
Referring to its resolution 338 (1973) of 22 October 1973,
1.confirms its design on the immediate cessation of all kinds of firing and all military action, and urges that the force of the two sides be returned to the positiosn they occupied at the moment the cease-fire became effective;
2. Requests the secretary-general to take measures for immediate dispatch of United Nations observers to supervise the observance of
1Adopted on Oct.22, 1973, at 12:50 A.M. by a vote of 14 to 0 (china did not participated in the voting).
2Adopted on Oct.23,by a vote of 14 to 0 (china did not participated in the voting).”
Israel didn’t respond to the resolution and continued fiqhting, so the UN security council held another meeting on October 23rd 1973 and adapted resolution 339.
Israelis continued fighting and resolution 340 was adopted.
U.N Security Council Resolution no. 340
The cease-fire between the forces 0f Israel and Arab Republic of Egypt, using for this purpose the personal of the United Nations now in the Middle East and first of all the personal now in Cairo.
Security Council resolution 340
“The Security Council,
Recalling its resolutions 338 (1973) of 22 October and 339 (1973) of 23 October 1973,
Noting with regret the reported repeated violations of the cease-fire in non-compliance with resolutions 339 (1973),
Noting with concern from the Secretary-General’s report that the United-General’s report that the United Nations military observers have not yet been enabled to place themselves on both sides cease-fire line,
1. demands that immediate and complete cease-fire be observed and that the parties return to the positions occupied by them at 1650 hours GMT on 22 October 1973;
2. requests the Secretary-General, as an immediate step, to increase the number of United Nations military observers on both sides;
3. Decide to set up immediately under its authority a United Nations Emergency Force to be composed of personnel drawn from state Members of United Nations except the permanent members of the Security Council, and requests the Secretary-General to report within 24 hours on the step taken to this effect;
4. requests the secretary-General to report to the Council on an urgent and continuing basis on the state of implementation of the present resolution , as well as resolution 338 (1973) and 339(1973);
5. Requests all Member States to extend their full co-operation to the United Nations in the implementation of the present resolution, as well as resolution 338 (1973) and 339 (1973).
Adopted on Oct 25 by a vote of 14 to 0 (china did not participate in the voting)
The war stopped on October 26th., but the Israeli didn’t respond to the UN resolutions and refused to withdraw from the occupied land. So Syria launched a /85/ days war of attrition after which fire ceased and negotiations started about a disengagement agreement which was signed in Geneva on May 31st 1974. Fighting stopped, but Israel continued its arrogance and refused to leave the occupied Golan. On 14 December 1981 Israeli Knesset surprised the world by declaring annexation of the Golan to Israel .This measure was totally refused and considered null by the UN in its resolution no. 497 of 1981.